Ah yes, the icon of Valentine’s Day. Listen people, I’ve been eating these since way before some yuppie mid 90’s throw back thought, “Hey we can market this to people for Valentine’s Day!” It all started in Callie’s Candy Kitchen in Mountainhome Pennsylvania way back when I was a little itty-bitty pain in the neck and not the super duper trouble maker and wise ass you see today. This man puts chocolate on EVERYTHING! Strawberries, potato chips, cream cheese and before you go “Eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, who puts chocolate on cream cheese?” think about what cheese cake, chocolate cheese cake at that, is made of. …….Thank you.
For some reason Risotto is thought of as this Italian delicacy served in fancy restaurants. I blame Seinfeld. Risotto is peasant food! They took rice, cooked it in broth and ate it. There’s no mystery in the making, no revelation that is being guarded by an armed staff of chefs. In fact I can show you how to make it right now and the only thing you’ll really need is extra arm power, because it does involve a lot of stirring.
Alright people. Enough crimes have been committed in the name of pasta and it’s time we ended this blood bath. I want you to repeat after me:
- Pasta is my friend.
- Pasta is my friend.
- Pasta should NEVER be cooked for more than 8 MINUTES! (some will argue 10)
RESPECT the pasta! And thus follows my commandments:
- Thou shall not over cook the pasta until it can be sucked through a straw.
- Thou shall not snap the spaghetti/linguine/angel hair in half. Be a man and cook it unsnapped.
- Thou shall not put Velveeta on any pasta. It doesn’t give much to the dish and thus no point it adding it.
- Thou shall not oil thy boiling water unless you want your sauce to slide right off the spaghetti.
- And the most important: Thou shall NOT CALL IT NOODLES! That’s Chinese food you arrogant twit and don’t start with me about how pasta came from China.
- Chef Boy-ar-dee is NOT pasta or Italian. It’s canned tragedy. Dress it up anyway you want, not even Don Corleone could convince me that this is anything other than recycled tires in red sauce.
Now on to the instructions.
The person who inspired me to start U Can’t Cook has done it again. What has she done? Messed up dinner that’s what and I know she’s not alone. Have we seriously become such a take out nation that the simple act of frying up a steak is equivalent to completing the Friday New York Times cross word?
I know, “long time comin’.” Yeah shut up.
For all you ‘peeps’ (teehee) who can’t poach an egg, here you go! Video proof that it can be done without a million bits of equipment or a piece of plastic you have to nuke.
Get it? Fresh? You guys suck….
I like fresh basil but sometimes you get this stuff home from the store and it’s either wilted, wilts by the next day or has brown patches all over it. This herb is pretty delicate, so unless you’re planning on having a little pot of it growing on a sunny window sill, you’re gonna have to get creative. Let’s face it guys, most of us live in cities where we’re lucky if our apartment has a window, never mind sun.